How to Live with Enochlophobia, Or A Fear of Crowds

When to talk with a doctor

If you or a loved one has a fear of crowds, chances are you’re already fully aware of what type of phobia it is. Not all phobias require medical attention, but if your enochlophobia is severe enough to interfere with your daily life, it may be helpful to talk with a doctor.

Your primary care doctor is a good place to start. Depending on the intensity of your symptoms, your doctor might refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist for further evaluation.

No medical test can diagnose enochlophobia. Instead, a mental health professional may have you fill out a questionnaire that lets you rate the frequency and severity of your symptoms. That person can also help you identify what triggers your fears so you can work through them.

Seeing a mental health professional takes courage — and the sooner you seek help, the better the outcome for your intense fear of crowds. You likely won’t overcome your fears overnight. But with continued therapy over weeks or months, you can learn to shift your current way of thinking.

The bottom line

A general dislike of crowds isn’t usually a cause for concern. But if you have an intense fear of them, you might have enochlophobia.

If this fear interferes with your daily routine and quality of life, it’s time to talk with your doctor and ask for some advice.

Therapy — and sometimes medications — can help you work through your fears so that one day you might be able to encounter a crowd with ease.